This episode is dedicated to the Justice Department’s Evaluation of Corporate Compliance Programs, which was released in February. In this episode, Jay Rosen and Jonathan Armstrong provide next insight. Listen to last week’s Episode 8 for commentary from Matt Kelly and Mike Volkov.
- Jay Rosen, reporting from the ABA White Collar Conference in Miami, considers the view from the vendor perspective and whether the Evaluation changes a conversation about doing compliance. He reviews the requirements for ongoing monitoring, risk assessments and root cause analysis and the need for companies to explain how something might have fallen through the cracks, leading to a FCPA incident. He points out how CCOs can test a company’s compliance systems.
For Jay Rosen’s post see, Still in the Enforcement Business and Evaluation of Corporate Compliance Programs
- Jonathan Armstrong provides a detailed analysis of some of the key differences between how compliance is operationalized in the US as opposed to the UK and EU countries. He explains how the enhanced requirements for root cause analysis, risk assessments and investigations and the supplemented requirements to tie back into the ongoing compliance monitoring and updating, could run afoul of UK and EU data protection and data privacy requirements. He also considers what a non-US company, subject to the FCPA what should look to as a best practices compliance program to best protect the organization. Finally explores just how far does all of this go? He provides on statistic that puts a huge bow on the difficulties going forward.
For the Cordery Compliance article see the following, US Department of Justice on Evaluation of Corporate Compliance : how does it compare to UK Bribery Act 2010?
For Mike Volkov’s posts on the Evaluation see the following:
For Tom Fox’s posts on these topics see the following:
For Matt Kelly’s posts see the following:
The members of the Everything Compliance panel include:
- Jay Rosen – Vice President of Business Development and Monitoring Specialist at Affiliated Monitors. Rosen can be reached at JRosen@AffiliatedMonitors.com.
- Mike Volkov – One of the top FCPA commentators and practitioners around, Volkov is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of The Volkov Law Group, LLC. Volkov can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Matt Kelly – Founder and CEO of Radical Compliance and former Editor of Compliance Week. Kelly can be reached at email@example.com.
- Jonathan Armstrong – Rounding out this distinguished panel is our UK colleague, a lawyer with Cordery Compliance in London. Armstrong can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The compliance world’s top roundtable commentators of the DOJ Evaluation of Corporate Compliance Programs.Click to tweet