The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) went live on May 25, 2018. What has happened since then in the data privacy and data protection world? In this episode, Jonathan Armstrong, partner at Cordery Compliance and I explore what is going on publicly and what has been going on behind the scenes as well. Armstrong provides his thoughts, reflections and observations on the activity which have and will impact companies and individuals going forward.
Some of the highlights of this podcast include:
- A discussion of the significant court cases filed pre-GDPR go-live, but are now coming to fruition in court;
- The numbers on data privacy complaints is very strong. There have been over 1100 complaints filed in the UK alone. Armstrong estimates there have been over 10,000 complaints filed EU wide;
- Equally interesting is the number of data breaches reported. The numbers in Ireland and the UK alone are instructive at 1100 and 1800 respectively;
- Over 100 cross border cases have been filed and Armstrong believes the EU system for coordinating complaints seems to be working well; and
- Regulators are putting on training and educational campaigns around GDPR for companies, practitioners and individuals.
What are some of the highlights of GDPR since the go-live date? Find out on Life with GDPR with Jonathan Armstrong and Tom Fox.Click to tweet