You can put away your all white linen suits and your seersucker suits as well. With that hint of fall in the air, we are upon the (unofficial) end of summer with the Labor Day Weekend, Tom and Jay are back with a look at some of the week’s top compliance and ethics stories.
- Second Circuit affirms most of Hoskins dismissal. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog.
- With a nod to Dwight Eisenhower, Hui Chen says compliance is about process not outcomes. Check out her article in Bloomberg.
- The 1MDB scandal only gets weirder. First Malaysian spies are linked to the scandal, Dick Cassin writes in the FCPA Blog. Next it turns out Chris Christie is representing Jho Low on a forfeiture case. Bradley Hope, Tom Wright and Rebecca Davis O’Brien report in the Wall Street Journal.
- Legg Mason bookends it NPA with a settlement with the SEC on its FCPA violations in Libya. Jack Hagel reports in the WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal. Tom reports in a tribute to Ed King on the FCPA Compliance and Ethics Blog. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog.
- Jaclyn Jaeger details some of the lessons learned from the Wynn scandal in Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- Why is it important for integrity to a part of your brand. Nelson Pratt explains on Navex’s blog, Ethics and Compliance Matters. Tom tackles integrity in a tribute to John McCain on the FCPA Compliance and Ethics Blog.
- Does power corrupt or simply change you? Caterina Bullgarella explains why you must pay attention in a piece on Forbes.com.
- Microsoft in trouble for its distributor network? Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog. Tom details how to manage the distributor risk in Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- Now former Cleveland Browns linebacker Mychal Kendricks indicted for insider trading. Tom Schad reports in USA Today. Once again demonstrating why they are the worst run organization in all of pro football, Browns only find out about the facts after then indictment and then cut him.Reported by Charlotte Carrol in Sports Illustrated.
- On this week’s featured podcast series, Tom explored the interestion of King Arthur and compliance. In Part 1 it was Arthuian leadership. In Part 2 it was the Pentecostal Oath and a Code of Conduct. In Part 3 it was the Round Table and whistleblowing. In Part 4 it was the Green Knight and whistleblower protection. In Part 5 it was the quest for the Holy Grail and a compliance defense for the FCPA.
- As the play off race begins to take shape, Astros lead the West by 2.5 games after taking 2 of 3 from the A’s in Houston. After being swept by the Rays, the Sox take it out on the Marlins and their lead is back to 7.5 games over the Yankees.
- The Compliance Master Class is coming to Boston on September 25 & 26. Learn how to create, design and implement a best practice compliance program from Tom Fox, the Compliance Evangelist. For information, click here. For registration click here.
The only weekly wrap up of all things compliance and ethics. This Week in FCPA. Tom and Jay are back with the end of summer edition.Click to tweet
For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.