Welcome to the only roundtable podcast in compliance. Inspired by our UK colleague, Jonathan Armstrong who inquired if we could explore the guilty plea of Michael Cohen and the guilty verdict against Paul Manafort, we dedicated two episodes to issues surrounding, raised by or related to these two events. In this episode we have commentary by Jay Rosen and Jonathan Armstrong (last week was Mike Volkov and Matt Kelly). After the commentary we follow with rants.
- Jay Rosen-begins with the Tom Fox mantra of Document Document Document to consider the use of documents in both cases. The Cohen case was built on the paper trail. He explains how prosecutors used it to uncover the fraud and why companies must properly record documents. Jay gives a shout out to John McCain for his services to our country.
- Jonathan Armstrong-There is much discussion in the US about whether prosecutors should or even can investigate the President, his team and family for their actions. He uses this as a jumping off point to consider if a UK PM and his team engaged in such blatant corruption, would UK prosecutors have the ability to engage in such investigations? What is the relationship of the CPS & SFO to the party in power for criminal investigations? Armstrong rants on curse of the enthusiastic amateur.
The members of the Everything Compliance panelist are:
- Jay Rosen– Jay is Vice President, Business Development Corporate Monitoring at Affiliated Monitors. Rosen can be reached at JRosen@affiliatedmonitors.com
- Mike Volkov– One of the top FCPA commentators and practitioners around and the Chief Executive Officer of The Volkov Law Group, LLC. Volkov can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Matt Kelly– Founder and CEO of Radical Compliance. Kelly can be reached at email@example.com
- Jonathan Armstrong– Rounding out the panel is our UK colleague, who is an experienced lawyer with Cordery in London. Armstrong can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
The host and producer (and sometime panelist) of Everything Compliance is Tom Fox the Compliance Evangelist.
In this second part of our 2 part series on the Cohen guilty plea and Manafort guilty verdict, Jay Rosen and Jonathan Armstrong weigh with their perspectives on Everything Compliance.Click to tweet