The baseball playoffs are here. For the Sox, the hated Yankees. For the Astros, they begin their World Series defense against the Cleveland Indians. Tom and Jay discuss and take a look at some of the week’s top compliance and ethics stories.
- Styker is now a two-time FCPA loser. Will there be a third? Sam Rubenfeld reports in the WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog.
- In a pique of sanity, Elon Musk settles his SEC lawsuit which might have barred him from serving on the Board of a public company. Tim Higgins and Dave Michaels consider the fallout in the WSJ. Both James Stewart, writing in the NYTand Tom Zanki, in Law360 say the Board needs better oversight.
- Former Chile mining official settles FCPA charges. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog. Sam Rubenfeld reports in the WSJ Risk & Compliance Journal.
- The commentary from the Petrobras FCPA enforcement action continues. Tom runs a 3-part series (Part 1, Part 2& Part 3). Mike Volkov weighs in on Corruption, Crime and Compliance. Andy Webb-Vidal explores the 10 ten takeaways from Operation Car Wash on Corporate Compliance Insights. Jonathan Marks looks at it from the ‘Realm of the Obvious’ in his Board and Fraud blog.
- MLB reportedly under investigation for FCPA violations in Latin America. Cheryl Ring reports in Fangraph.
- More on ruling on attorney-client privilege in UK. Sam Rubenfled in WSJ Risk & Compliance Journal reports SFO will not appeal ENRC ruling. Andrew Reeves provides five key takeaways in the FCPA Blog.
- Panasonic Avionics finally get a monitor. Kelly Swanson reports in GIR.
- Robbing a national bank, think big. Margot Patrick, Gabriele Steinhauser and Patricia Kowsmann report in the WSJ.
- Women who have behaved badly. Rosmah Mansor, wife of former Malaysian PM Najib Razak charged with money-laundering, Harry Cassin in the FCPA Blog. SFO moves to sieze assets of Gulnara Karimova the eldest daughter of the late Uzbek President Islam Karimoa. Dick Cassin the FCPA Blog.
- Want a 50% discount to one of the top compliance conferences around? Join Tom and AMI’s Eric Feldman at CONVERGE18 in Denver on October 9-11. I hope you can join me at the event. For information on the event, click here. As an extra benefit to fans of This Week in FCPA, CONVERGE18 is offering a 50% discount off the registration Enter discount code TOMFOXVIP.
- The baseball playoffs are here. Tom and gutless wonder Jay discuss. Tom explains why Jay is a gutless wonder.
What were the week’s top compliance and ethics stories? Tom Fox and Jay Rosen break them down for you on This Week in FCPA, Episode 123.Click to tweet
For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.