In this episode of Across the Board, I visit with Amii Barnard-Bahn. She is a strategic advisor to Boards of Director and executive coach to many C-Suite members. She specializes in accelerating the success of C-Suite executives and partners with leaders and teams to help scale their business. She has shaped company culture and strategic initiatives as an executive at Fortune 20 companies, smaller businesses and nonprofits, leading multiple functions; including Human Resources, Legal, IT, Communications, and Compliance. Today’s topic is the Board’s failures at Theranos and how they helped lead to the demise of the company.
Some of the topics we discuss are:
- Where can you begin to enumerate the Board failures?
- What type of Board Chair is needed to make the Board truly independent?
- Why a compliance professional needs to be named to the Board.
- What is the role of a Board of Directors?
- What questions should Board candidates ask before agreeing to go on a Board?
- If there are serious allegations of fraud, if the Board does not lead an investigation, the government will do it for you?
This podcast will help you as a Board member understand how your role changes as the risks to your organization change, if you do not provide effective oversight.