While Trump has shut down the government over the holidays, compliance and ethics has not been shutdown. With Jay taking some time off to spend time with the family over this holiday week, Tom takes a solo pull on this week’s top compliance and ethics stories.
- Two FCPA settlements this week. Polygram receives a Declination with disgorgement from the DOJ and SEC resolution. Sam Rubenfeld reports in the WSJ Risk & Compliance Journal. Electrobras settles with the SEC. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog.
- Why is it important to fight money-laundering? ISIS has $400MM to spend on terrorism. Jonathan Rausch explains on Dipping Through Geomotries.
- How can the US prosecute foreign bribe takers? Tom Firestone and Maria Piontkovska suggest ways to do so in the FCPA Blog.
- What is ‘Brexhaustion’ and how does it impact compliance? Neil Hodge explores in Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- What are four top cybersecurity issues every small business should address going into 2019? Pamela Passman explores in Navex Global’s Ethics and Compliance Matters.
- Ten ways to improve your risk assessment process. Jim DeLoach in Corporate Compliance Insights.
- Measuring and assessing corporate culture becomes more important in the UK. Op-Ed piece in the Financial Times(sub req’d)
- Colin Brady completes first ever unassisted trek across Antartica. Adam Skolnick reports in the NY Times.
- In the post holiday blahs? Get back some of that holiday spirit with the new podcast series, Popcorn and Complianceas Tom and Jay consider the holiday favorite Elffor some compliance lessons. The podcast is available on multiple site: the FCPA Compliance Report, iTunes, JDSupra, Panoplyand YouTube.
- Start your new year off with the Compliance Evangelist in the Compliance Master Class training. The first session, hosted by Baker Tilly, will be in San Fransicso on January 28 and 29. For information and registration details, click here.
For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.