In this special five-part podcast series, I interview John Gill, the Vice President for Education at the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). In this series, John discusses five well-known fraudsters; including what caused them to engage in fraud, the fraud scheme they employed and how they were caught. More significantly we tie this what compliance professionals need to have in place to detect and prevent corruption. In this Episode 2, we discuss Mark Whitacre and how senior management sets the tone on fraud for the entire organization. Some of the highlights include:
- How do employees take their cues from management about ethics and compliance?
- If an employee knows where the corporate skeletons are buried, what will happen?
- How fraud incidents are handled in an organization communicates tone and corporate culture.
- What led to Whitacre turning informant for the government?
- People who cooperate may not always be as pure as the driven snow.
For listeners of this podcast, the ACFE is offering a free Fraud Risk Assessment Tool. Check out this great offering by clicking here.
For more information on the ACFE, click here.