In this special five-part podcast series, I interview John Gill, the Vice President for Education at the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). In this series, John discusses five well-known fraudsters; including what caused them to engage in fraud, the fraud scheme they employed and how they were caught. More significantly we tie this what compliance professionals need to have in place to detect and prevent corruption. In this Episode 4, we discuss James Brandolino and the need for ongoing due diligence on those with whom you invest. Some of the highlights include:
- Always perform due diligence requisite to the risk.
- What are some of the red flags for investment professionals? Can you check the books?
- Due diligence is not a one-time exercise. It should be ongoing throughout the life of the business relationship.
- What if there are never any losses? SeeBernie Madoff.
- Never forget to listen to your gut and your instincts. If something doesn’t seem or feel right, it probably isn’t right.
For listeners of this podcast, the ACFE is offering a free Fraud Risk Assessment Tool. Check out this great offering by clicking here.
For more information on the ACFE, click here.