We are back with our fan favorite Oscar movie month. During the month of February each year, we look at Oscar-winning Best Pictures and consider the leadership lessons we glean from our viewing. This month we look at three: No Country for Old Men, The Sting and The Last Emperor. In this episode of 12 O’Clock High, a podcast on business leadership, Richard Lummis and I take at the 1987 Best Picture winning film, The Last Emperor. Some of the highlights were:
- This was the first movie shot in the Forbidden City;
- How does one lead in an era or region of different values and different cultures?
- Are the trappings of your power as a business leader only that, mere trappings? If so what does this mean?
- How does your company do business outside the US? and
- Why does even the best leader sometimes need to bring in an outside expert to assist?