Welcome to the only roundtable podcast in compliance. This episode is Part 1 of a special two-part episode. Today, in Episode 42 Mike Volkov and Jay Rosen sound off. Next week, in Episode 43 Jonathan Armstrong and Matt Kelly weigh in on issues that are on their collective minds. Shout outs (but no rants) follow this episode only after the commentators say their peace.
- Mike Volkov uses the Cohen testimony to the House Oversight Committee to explain the process of Congressional oversight, including how a company or witness is called to testify, the testimony preparation process and the testimony process. Volkov then flips it around to evaluation the questioning and interrogation style of the Representatives. Volkov gives his first ‘in-anticipation’ shout out to OFAC who is coming out with its recommendations on a best practices compliance program.
- Jay Rosen talks about the DOJ focus on new industries for FCPA investigations including Major League Baseball teams and universities and colleges. Jay shouts out to the podcast “The Dropout” which tells the tale of disgraced and fallen Theranos founder, Elizabeth Holmes.
- Next week Jonathan Armstrong will discuss the UK Serious Fraud Office’s conclusion of its investigation into the individuals at Rolls Royce and GSK. Jonathan shouts out to the Dutch anti-corruption investigators and enforcers who have recently increased not only their collective vigilance but their investigations and prosecutions.
- Next week, Matt Kelly will consider the continued taunting tweets from Elon Musk, the SEC’s request for a federal court to hold Musk in contempt from his prior SEC settlement over the ‘funding secured’ tweet and what all this may mean for the SEC going forward. Matt shouts out to Lyft and Uber who are offering list price stock to a select group of long-time employees in their respective IPO debuts.
The members of the Everything Compliance panelist are:
- Jay Rosen– Jay is Vice President, Business Development Corporate Monitoring at Affiliated Monitors. Rosen can be reached at JRosen@affiliatedmonitors.com
- Mike Volkov– One of the top FCPA commentators and practitioners around and the Chief Executive Officer of The Volkov Law Group, LLC. Volkov can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Matt Kelly– Founder and CEO of Radical Compliance. Kelly can be reached at email@example.com
- Jonathan Armstrong– Rounding out the panel is our UK colleague, who is an experienced lawyer with Cordery in London. Armstrong can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
The host and producer (and sometime panelist) of Everything Compliance is Tom Fox the Compliance Evangelist. Everything Compliance is a part of the Compliance Podcast Network.
For additional reading see: David Chaikin and Kurt Wolfe’s article in Law360, entitled, “Potential New FCPA Enforcement Targets Come Into Focus”.
Check out the podcast from Jay’s shout out, The Drop Out.