Richard Lummis and I are back and we head in a different direction today. This episode begins a three-part podcast series where consider the two principals from a titanic struggle in the early 1950s. It was between President Harry Truman and General Douglas MacArthur.
Some of the highlights of this podcast include:
- Some of the leadership principles of Truman included: (a) do not mistake yourself for the institution; (b) keep a court jester; (c) understand the limits to your power; and (d) don’t worry about being or staying popular.
- Make peace with your decisions and move on.
- You can get much more done if you don’t worry about who gets credit.
- Surround yourself with the top talent and listen to them.
- Truman’s personal assets included, humility, honesty, intellectual integrity, homespun character and the ability to speak plain truths.