I have long wanted to use the lens of Star Trek (The Original Series) to explore compliance lessons and business leadership. To that end I have premiered Trekking Through Compliance, the latest offering from the Compliance Podcast Network. In this podcast series I explore compliance through the lens of Star Trek-The Original Series in a 79-episode offering. Each podcast will review the episode creative team, story synopsis and three key lessons learned on compliance, leadership and governance. If you love Star Trek as I do, this is the podcast series for you.
I will use two key resources for each offering: (1) Eric’s Excruciatingly Detailed Star Trek (TOS) Plot Summaries, which has plot summaries for every episode, and (2) MissionLogPodcast.com, a Rod Roddenberry podcast where Ken Ray and John Champion are doing a 10+ year exploration of every episode of every Star Trek television show and movie.
Please note that I will use the order of release in this podcast series so the first episode will be the premier TV show on September 10, 1966 The Man Trap. This means the pilots will appear later in the series. Also, the TV premiers are not on the same schedule as the production schedule. Each episode contains the story synopsis, Star Date of the tale, fun facts on the compliance lessons learned and more.
To whet your whistle here are the compliance lessons from the first week’s episodes.
Episode 1– The Man Trap, Star Date 1515.1
- Be sure and introduce yourself to as many co-employees as you can do so.
- Get out of the corporate office and into the field.
- Use facts not suppositions to support your decisions.
Episode 2– Charlie X, Star Date 1533.6
- Ask more of your front-line employee and they will respond positively.
- Compliance is like a multi-dimensional chess match.
- As a compliance professional, who are you mentoring?
Episode 3-Where No Man Has Gone Before, Star Date 1312.4
- Your root cause analysis is different than an investigation.
- Compliance training should provide answers to employees when times of high stress arise.
- Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Internal controls are the key.
Episode 4-The Naked Time, Star Date 1704.2
- You perform due diligence on employees before you hire. What do you do after hire?
- Compliance professionals should always remember the three C’s: cool, calm and collected.
- A leader, and a compliance professional must be ready to make a decision.
Episode 5-The Enemy Within, Star Date 1672.1
- A leader must make decisions and then be decisive about those decisions after they were made.
- Does your speak up culture include training on how to listen?
- #MeToo means that if, as a by-stander you see something it is your responsibility to report it.
Just as there was and is a Summer of Ben there is now the Summer of Trek and Compliance as I will explore each episode on a daily basis. Each episode is between 6-8 minutes so they are bite-sized fun. If you are interested at all in Star Trek-TOS and compliance, listen over the next 79 episodes, revisit one of television’s great achievements and learn how you can use Star Trek to improve your corporate compliance program, as well as yourself as a compliance professional. It is available on all my usual channels, the FCPA Compliance Report, iTunes, JDSupra, Megaphone,YouTube, Spotifyand Corporate Compliance Insights.