While Facebook announces a settlement with the FTC and Microsoft settles an outstanding FCPA enforcement action, Tom and Jay return to discuss both events and some of this week’s top compliance and ethics stories which caught their collective eyes.
- Facebook settles with the FTC for $5bn. Does it matter? Mike Issac and Natasha Singer in the NYT. Kevin LaCroix on why data privacy is such a high corporate risk in the D&O Diary. SEC piles on with another $100MM. Jaclyn Jaeger reports in Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- Microsoft settles FCPA enforcement action for $25MM. Dick Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog. Tom rocks out with drum solo week in his discussion of the settlement. (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Can an ethical culture be measured? Vera Cherepanova says yes in the FCPA Blog.
- What is a ‘pulse check’ for compliance? Mary Shirely explains on Corporate Compliance Insights.
- What is the intersection of FCPA enforcement and suspension and debarment? Jay explains on Corporate Compliance Insights.
- What are the 5 complaince takeaways from the Walmart FCPA enforcement action? Jaclyn Jaeger weighs in on Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- Is Santa Claus real? Jonathan Rusch on the Chinese anti-corruption efforts around Belt and Road, in Dipping Through Geometries.
- Are there too many cooks in the FCPA enforcement kitchen? Helen Jiang says no in the Global Anti-Corruption Blog.
- Trade sanction fines hit alltime high. Mengqi Sun reports in the WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal.
- The week’s notable milestone-Mike Volkov celebrates his 100thanniversary show. Tom guests to join in on the event on Corruption Crime and Compliance.
- This week Tom had a special 5-part podcast series sponsored by AMI on the use of monitors by State AGs, with Jerry Coyne. Check out the following: Part 1-Introduction to the Role of State AGs; Part 2-Big Tobacco litigation; Part 3– Litigation in the post-tobacco era; Part 4-Current Multistate litigation challenges; Part 5-the Road Ahead. The podcast is available on multiple sites: the FCPA Compliance Report, iTunes, JDSupra, Megaphone,YouTube, Spotifyand Corporate Compliance Insights. The Compliance Podcast Network joins C-Suite Radio.
- Our colleague Doug Cornelis participates in the annual 2-day, 192 mile Pan-Mass Bike Challenge which raises money for the fight against cancer. It is the first week of August. I hope you will join my again in supporting Doug by donating to PMC. Information on Doug’s ride, why he rides and donation button are all found here.
- If you happen to be attending the National Speakers Association, Influence 2019, next week in Denver, I hope you will join me on a panel hosted by Jeffery Hayzlett, 7:30 to 8:30 AM on Tuesday, July 30. We will cover ideas, promotion, partners, and processes all around podcasting. Details and registration are found here.
For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.