Compliance into the Weeds is the only weekly podcast which takes a deep dive into a compliance related topic, literally going into the weeds to more fully explore a subject. In this episode, Matt Kelly and I go into the weeds to discuss our views on the Business Roundtable’s recently released Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation.
Some of the highlights include:
- Tom believes it is an important first step to consider the various stakeholders in a business enterprise.
- Matt has a bit more cynical view of the document.
- Matt is concerned that the Statement does not have the force of law and indeed may be antithetical to corporate law.
- Matt is suspicious of the timing of the Statement.
- Tom believes it provides a playbook for both corporations and lawmakers in the debate going forward.
For additional reading see Tom’s blog post Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation and What it Means for the Compliance Professional on the FCPA Compliance Report.