Compliance into the Weeds is the only weekly podcast which takes a deep dive into a compliance related topic, literally going into the weeds to more fully explore a subject. In this episode, Matt Kelly and I go into the weeds to explore the recent SEC enforcement action against PwC and its partner Brandon Sprankle for violating audit firm independence rules, including PwC implementing a GRC software system for one of its audit clients.
Some of the highlights include:
- What was the conduct which led to the $8.9MM fine against PwC?
- Why do audit firm independence rules exist?
- Why ethical norms did PwC partner Brandon Sprankle violate?
- Should an audit partner who engages in material misrepresentations be trusted to perform an audit?
- What internal controls at PwC were violated by Sprankle’s actions?
- What does a CCO need to pay attention to audit firm independence rules?
For additional reading see the following:
Matt’s blog post, SEC Dings PwC on GRC Deal, on Radical Compliance.
For more information on Converge19, click her