Welcome to a special series of Trekking Through Compliance, the podcast series inspired by my review of Star Trek, the Original Series. In this special series I am joined by another uber Star Trek maven, Megan Dougherty, co-founder of One Stone Creative. In this series we will review the new television show Picardwhich is currently streaming on CBS. Today, Episode 9, Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 1.
SPOILER ALERT-Although we will review each episode after it appears, we will discuss each episode in depth.
Episode 9, Et in Arcadia Ego. Picard’s brain condition has become terminal. He is on his mission to find and save androids he believes to be Soji’s people. The Romulans have now found the Synth homeworld. Picard and friends arrived at this synth home world and meet Dr. Altan Inigo Soong, a previously unknown organic son of Noonian Soon; and a number of synths. Picard attempts to contact Starfleet, reporting a first contact with the synths. But a synth, Sutra mind-melded with Agnes Jurati and was able to explain the real meaning of the Admonition which the Zhat Vash. Sutra designed a beacon to summon the advanced synthetic life to save her people and destroy all organics. Dr. Soong and Jurati took the side of the synths and Picard is led away under house arrest to end this Part 1 of a two-part conclusion.
Highlights, speculations and questions include:
- Homage to the Picard Manouver?
- Some really big philosophical questions in this episode.
- What is the role of Dr. Soong?
- Sutra and Vulcan mind-meld?
- Will the evolution of the synths lead to the annihilations of organics?
- Moment between Raffi and Picard. Was it real for you?
- Sutra and her manipulation?
- Does Picard have any credibility regarding his offer to protect the synths?