Welcome to the only roundtable podcast in compliance. Today, we have the full quintet of Jonathan Armstrong, Jay Rosen, Matt Kelly, Jonathan Marks and Mike Volkov sitting in to discuss various aspects of the Novartis settlements and ending with a veritable mélange of rants and shouts outs.
- Jonathan Armstrong critiques the ongoing corruption in the pharma industry and implores the industry to do business differently. Instead of a shout out, he asks that we each reach out to someone who has been laid off during the Coronavirus crisis and check in with them.
- Jay Rosen considers the Novartis FCPA settlement from the recidivist angle, noting that the Swiss company joins an ignominious list of multiple FCPA offenders. Rosen rants against the Trump Administration’s attempt to strip visas from foreign students who are studying remotely.
- Matt Kelly considers the data analytics angle from the Novartis enforcement action and how it instructs a compliance professional on how to use data analysis. He shouts out to the new CEO of Wirecard, named 24 hours after taking over the CCO chair at the embattled company.
- Mike Volkov looks at False Claims Act settlement by Novartis (as opposed to the FCPA settlement). He shouts out to Chief Justice John Roberts who only dissented in two decisions from the court’s most recent term.
- Jonathan Marks looks at the Novartis settlement from the internal controls and accounting perspective. He also asks if there are any Caremark claims against the Novartis Board of Directors. He shouts out to the genius who invented the phrase “Document Document Document!”
The members of the Everything Compliance are:
- Jay Rosen– Jay is Vice President, Business Development Corporate Monitoring at Affiliated Monitors. Rosen can be reached at JRosen@affiliatedmonitors.com
- Mike Volkov – One of the top FCPA commentators and practitioners around and the Chief Executive Officer of The Volkov Law Group, LLC. Volkov can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt Kelly – Founder and CEO of Radical Compliance. Kelly can be reached at email@example.com
- Jonathan Armstrong –is our UK colleague, who is an experienced data privacy/data protection lawyer with Cordery in London. Armstrong can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jonathan Marks is Partner, Firm Practice Leader – Global Forensic, Compliance & Integrity Services at Baker Tilly. Marks can be reached at email@example.com
The host and producer (and sometime panelist) of Everything Compliance is Tom Fox the Compliance Evangelist. Everything Compliance is a part of the Compliance Podcast Network. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org