In the episode, I take things in a different direction as I visit with Compliance Week Editor-in-Chief Dave Lefort. We reflect on the life and meaning of the recently deceased Tommy Heinsohn. We talk about Heinsohn the player, the coach, the announcer and the man. We discuss leadership and why Heinsohn was a figure beloved by all of New England.
Some of the highlights include:
- The basketball resume of Tommy Heinsohn, from Holy Cross and an NIT Championship, to a Boston Celtics player, to the Boston Celtics coach and ending as the Boston Celtics announcer.
- Some Heinsohn numbers.
- Tommy Heinsohn and Red Auerbach –their relationship.
- How did Auerbach make use of Tommy’s skills in over 35 years of working together?
- What is the role of a Coach/GM in finding roles for all players?
- What did Tommy mean to Boston, New England and indeed all of New England?
- Why is continuity so valued in Boston sports?
- Final Thoughts-What did Tommy Heinsohn mean personally to each of us?