In the Episode, I visit with André H. Paris, a Brazilian Compliance Consultant and Lawyer. He is a specialist in building a Corporate Culture based on Ethics, Transparency and Respect. Paris has experience in Corporate Risk Analysis and Management, as well as in Protecting Corporate Reputation and Crisis Management. He is also quite enthusiastic on building a more ethical and transparent business environment. Paris is the author of the recently released book Compliance – Ethics and Transparency as the Way Forward. I met Paris at a compliance conference in Brazil last year. I am always interested in the views on compliance from practitioners outside the US, most particularly those who have written on the subject. He came on to the podcast to discuss his book and the current compliance scene in Brazil. Some of the highlights include:
- Due to the numerous corruption scandals, many Brazilian companies have experienced an extreme reputation crisis.
- Companies have suffered substantial reputational bumps, including loss of market value, frequent presence on police pages, destroyed careers and thousands of jobs down the drain, as well as a profound brand disruption.
- Paris believes that many of these risks should never have been taken, seeking results at any cost.
- One of the challenges is helping the market to understand the need and value of compliance.
- Additionally, many companies are trying to catch by creating internal structures focused on this compliance.
- Compliance needs to be further studied and deepened. Paris believes there is the need for constant updating.
- While the book deals with the main themes of corporate compliance, Paris both in the podcast and in his book does not shy away from expressing his opinions on topics that are often considered controversial.
To purchase a copy of Compliance – Ethics and Transparency as the Way Forward (in Portuguese) click here
André Paris LinkedIn Profile